Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dialogue Exercise

"Conveyor Belt Love"




I want to quit.

Congratulations! I’ll hire you.

You haven’t gotten paid in over two months.

My boss is out of town.

He was deported. There’s a difference.

He wasn’t deported.

Have you heard from him?

So, I'll start my own business.

What happened to your bar idea? Anyone with the last name Bartles needs to have their own bar.

I'm waiting for you to quit. Every bar needs a bartenderista.

Oh my God, so, to-day at lunch, she decides to go to Ledo’s Pizza. She orders a cheeseburger. She comes back, unwraps the cheeseburger, inspects the cheeseburger. And I quote, “The cheese is on the bottom! Who puts the cheese on the bottom?” And dutifully throws the entire thing away. Tell me this! Why don’t you flip the sandwich over? FLIP THE SANDWICH OVER and take it out of the trash and into your mouth.

Can you guys hear the music I play over there?

The Haunted. The Dead Eye. Yeah. She hates it. She says she’s going to call the cops.

Good. Do you think if I throw this brownie at the wall it will stay in the plastic or explode?

Depends on how hard you throw it.

I think it’ll explode.

I hope not. I don’t want to clean it up.

I bet she’ll think I’m punching the walls over here.

O.K.

Damn!

Oh shit. That looks like—

Yeah, it does.

I’m not going to clean it up.

Leave it.

O.K.

You want to smoke weed in the refrigerator?

Not really. You want to make out in the back?

Eh, not really. You want to sit on the roof?

I’m afraid of heights.

You get to see the stars.

We’re in Woodbridge, you can never see any stars.

You need to know where to look.

Up, you look, up. I haven’t been looking down for stars all my life.

You’re mad at me.

No, I’m not mad or I wouldn’t have come over here.

I don’t have a fiance.

Uh…

I told her I had a fiance so she wouldn’t think—

Don’t worry about it.

My girlfriend was a bitch.

Seriously? Dave, leave it.

No. She lost the kid. Stupid bitch went horseback riding.

Oh. Sorry?

No, I don’t want her kid. I want kids, but not hers. I can’t believe I bought her a ring. I was about to tattoo her name on my arm, but I spent the money for her to get a tramp stamp of a bleeding black heart. How appropriate in retrospect.

We don’t have to go on the roof to look for stars. I can point out Jupiter, if the sky is clear enough.

I really do want kids. I want him to be like my little brother. He saved my life you know. I wanted to blow my brains out. I locked my door, and held the gun in my hand. It was loaded, Liz. But, he got in my room somehow. I locked the door, but he got in. And he just looked at me. He wanted to play with the gun. But I just held him.

They tell me to hold ice.

They tell me to just breathe.

Conveyor belt your thoughts?

Yeah, but I still miss my brother. Some thoughts just keep coming back. I don’t want to live so far away anymore.

That’s why you give that guy and his kids three subs for a dollar?

That and all the food here is old.

And you can’t open your register.

He only gets to see his kids once a week. And, he takes them here.

I wonder if all Blimpees are like this.

I wonder if all PostNets are like yours.

Only when they’re connected to you.

I learned to spell your name in Kanji.

From that guy who works with you. He freaks me out.

First of all Kanji is Japanese, not Pakistani, and...I’ve been meaning to say I’m sorry about yesterday.

What was up with that?

I don’t know; but he threw the oldest ass condom at us. We’re not even like that.

Yeah, we’re not even like that.

We’re not even like that.

I know.

1 comment:

  1. I like the smoothness of the dialogue. The conflicts range from deportation to a miscarriage to suicide to sex to drugs to giving away food. Nice coverage.

    I get a good sense of where these people are just from reading – outside, at night, talking, with food around (what a waste of a brownie, though!). They’re not quite romantically related, but they’re close. I got an idea of a slight tension between the two.

    One of the lines that I really liked was, "Up, you look, up. I haven’t been looking down for stars all my life."

    Nice job. I kind of wish that I knew what happened next between these two.

    ReplyDelete